If you're familiar with our blog, then you know we love chocolate, red wine, and generally any sweet treat. Since these are the traditional Valentine's gifts we thought we would break out of the box and try something new.
This year we made buttermilk scones with whipped strawberry butter. YUM! I don't know why there isn't whipped butter in my fridge at all times! It was so easy to make and absolutely delicious. Pair that with buttermilk scones and you have the perfect valentine's breakfast (or dessert, no shame)!
Enjoy this fluffy recipe!
- 400g all purpose flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp butter
- 8 fl oz buttermilk
- Pre-heat over to 420.
- Sift the purpose, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Add room temperature butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a fork. You want the mixture to look like breadcrumbs.
- Add buttermilk to the mixture. NOTE: the dough will be a bit moist.
- Roll half of the dough into a ball, then flatten onto a floured surface. Cut into six pieces (like a pizza). Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Place scone slices on an uncreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on your oven).
Whipped Strawberry Butter
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick)
- 4 strawberries chopped and mashed, about 1/4 cup worths
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter on high speed until the butter is light and fluffy. About 4 minutes.
- Add the smashed strawberries and juice to the butter and beat again until well combined. About 2-3 mins.
- Add the honey and beat until well combined and the butter mixture is light and fluffy
You can eat right away or store in an airtight container for later use.
Let us know how you celebrate your Valentine's Day!